VINO ROSSO, a chestnut colt by Curlin out of Mythical Bride by Street Cry, was purchased for $410,000 by the partnership of Mike Repole and St. Elias Stable.
With an A Classic Champion Thoroughbred Profile®, our 2016 Keeneland September Yearling sales analysis showed that he has the breeding to be competitive on the Kentucky Derby Trail.
His sire, Curlin, was an outstanding racehorse that compiled an 11-2-2 record in 16 career starts with $10,501,800 in career earnings.
Curlin did not start as a two-year-old. But, at the age of three, Curlin was 6-1-2 in nine starts with $5,102,800 in earnings including wins in the Rebel Stakes (G3) and Arkansas Derby (G2) en route to a third-place finish in the 2007 Kentucky Derby (G1). He went on to win the Preakness Stakes (G1) and he finished second in the Belmont Stakes (G1).
Other important stakes wins include the Breeders’ Cup Classic (G1), Jockey Club Gold Cup (G1), twice, Dubai World Cup (G1), Stephen Foster Handicap (G1), Woodward Stakes (G1), and the UAE Jaguar Trophy Handicap.
In his first five crops as a stallion, Curlin has sired the 2013 Belmont Stakes (G1) winner Palace Malice and the 2016 Preakness Stakes (G1) winner Exaggerator. In addition, Curlin produced the classic-placed runners Good Magic (second, 2018 Kentucky Derby), Tenfold (third, 2018 Preakness), Ride On Curlin (second, 2014 Preakness), Keen Ice (third, 2015 Belmont) and Irish War Cry (second, 2017 Belmont).
Won at two
- A 7 f, maiden special weight at Aqueduct and an 8 f, 40-yard Allowance Optional Claiming at Tampa Bay Downs
Won at three
- Wood Memorial Stakes (G2, 9 f, defeating Enticed, Restoring Hope, Firenze Fire, Heartfullofstars, King Zachary, Evaluator, Old Time Revival, Catch Twenty Two)
3rd at three
- Sam F. Davis Stakes (G3, 8½ f, to Flameaway, Catholic Boy, defeating Hollywood Star, Navy Armed Guard, Septimius Serverus)
4th at three
- Tampa Bay Derby (G2, 8½ f, to Quip, Flameaway, World of Trouble, defeating Tiz Mischief, Untamed Domain, Caloric, Arazi Like Move, Grandpa Knows Best)
- Belmont Stakes (G1, 10 f, to Justify, Gronkowski, Hofburg, defeating Tenfold, Bravazo, Free Drop Billy, Restoring Hope, Blended Citizen, Noble Indy)