GOOD MAGIC, a chestnut colt by Curlin out of Glinda the Good by Hard Spun, was a $1 million session four sale topper purchased by agent Mike Ryan for E5 Racing.
“He’s as good a Curlin as you’ll see,” said Ryan in a Bloodhorse news story. “Curlin is Curlin. In my mind he’s as good as Tapit.”
Good Magic has an A Classic Champion Thoroughbred Profile® and he was one of my best of sale picks. Here’s the video of Good Magic in the auction ring:
Good Magic’s sire, Curlin, was an outstanding racehorse that compiled an 11-2-2 record in 16 career starts with $10,501,800 in career earnings.
Curlin did not start as a two-year-old. But, at the age of three, Curlin was 6-1-2 in nine starts with $5,102,800 in earnings including wins in the Rebel Stakes (G3) and Arkansas Derby (G2) en route to a third-place finish in the 2007 Kentucky Derby (G1). He went on to win the Preakness Stakes (G1) and he finished second in the Belmont Stakes (G1).
Other important stakes wins include the Breeders’ Cup Classic (G1), Jockey Club Gold Cup (G1), twice, Dubai World Cup (G1), Stephen Foster Handicap (G1), Woodward Stakes (G1), and the UAE Jaguar Trophy Handicap.
In his first five crops as a stallion, Curlin has sired the 2013 Belmont Stakes (G1) winner Palace Malice and the 2016 Preakness Stakes (G1) winner Exaggerator. In addition, Curlin produced the classic-placed runners Good Magic (second, 2018 Kentucky Derby), Tenfold (third, 2018 Preakness), Ride On Curlin (second, 2014 Preakness), Keen Ice (third, 2015 Belmont) and Irish War Cry (second, 2017 Belmont).
Won at two
- Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Stakes (G1, 8½ f, defeating Solomini, Bolt d’Oro, Givemeaminit, The Tabluator, Hollywood Star, Firenze Fire, Hazit, Free Drop Billy, U S Navy Flag, Golden Dragon, Bahamian)
2nd at two
- Champagne Stakes (G1, 8 f, to Firenze Fire, defeating Enticed, Kowboy Karma, Hazit, Honorable Treasure, Aveenu Mulcainu, Full of Run, Bahamian, Stronger, Master Manipulator, Blame It On Honey)
Won at two
- Toyota Blue Grass Stakes (G1, 8½ f, defeating Flameaway, DQ-Sporting Chance, Free Drop Billy, Blended Citizen, Kanthaka, Tiz Mischief, Marconi, Zing Zang, California Night, Gotta Go, Machismo, Determinant, Arawak)
2nd at three
- Kentucky Derby (G1, 10 f, to Justify, defeating Audible, Instilled Regard, My Boy Jack, Bravazo, Hofburg, Lone Sailor, Vino Rosso, Solomini, Firenze Fire, Bolt d’Oro,
3rd at three
- Fountain of Youth Stakes (G2, 8½ f, to Promises Fulfilled, Strike Power, defeating Machismo, Marconi, Gotta Go, Storm Runner, He Takes Charge, Peppered)