SOLOMINI, A chestnut colt by Curlin out of Surf Song by Storm Cat, was purchased for $270,000 by Zayat Stables.
With an A+ Classic Champion Thoroughbred Profile®, our analysis showed that Solomini had the potential to be competitive on the Kentucky Derby Trail.
Solomini’s sire, Curlin, was an outstanding racehorse that compiled an 11-2-2 record in 16 career starts with $10,501,800 in career earnings.
Curlin did not start as a two-year-old. But, at the age of three, Curlin was 6-1-2 in nine starts with $5,102,800 in earnings including wins in the Rebel Stakes (G3) and Arkansas Derby (G2) en route to a third-place finish in the 2007 Kentucky Derby (G1). He went on to win the Preakness Stakes (G1) and he finished second in the Belmont Stakes (G1).
Other important stakes wins include the Breeders’ Cup Classic (G1), Jockey Club Gold Cup (G1), twice, Dubai World Cup (G1), Stephen Foster Handicap (G1), Woodward Stakes (G1), and the UAE Jaguar Trophy Handicap.
In his first five crops as a stallion, Curlin has sired the 2013 Belmont Stakes (G1) winner Palace Malice and the 2016 Preakness Stakes (G1) winner Exaggerator. In addition, Curlin produced the classic-placed runners Good Magic (second, 2018 Kentucky Derby), Tenfold (third, 2018 Preakness), Ride On Curlin (second, 2014 Preakness), Keen Ice (third, 2015 Belmont) and Irish War Cry (second, 2017 Belmont).
Won at two
- A 6½ f, maiden special weight at Del Mar (defeating Bahamian, Thegloryisallmine, Holy Ghost, Knight Disruptor, Landonese, Typhoon Harry, It’s A New Year)
2nd at two
- FrontRunner Stakes (G1, 8 ½ f, to Bolt d’Oro, defeating Take the One O One, Ayacara, Zatter, Encumbered, City Plan, Continental Divide, Texas Wedge)
- Sentient Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Stakes (G1, 8 ½ f, to Good Magic, defeating Bolt d’Oro, Givemeaminit, The Tabulator, Hollywood Star, Firenze Fire, Hazit, Free Drop Billy, U S Navy Flag, Golden Dragon, Bahamian)
3rd at two (finished 1st but disqualified to third)
- Los Alamitos Cash Call Futurity Stakes (G1, 8 ½ f, defeating McKinzie, Instilled Regard, For Him, Runaway Ghost)
2nd at three
- Rebel Stakes (G2, 8 ½ f, to Magnum Moon, defeating Combatant, Title Ready, Sporting Chance, Zing Zang, High North, Higher Power, Pryor, Curlin’s Honor)
3rd at three
- Arkansas Derby (G1, 9 f, to Magnum Moon, Quip, defeating Combatant, Tenfold, Plainsman, Dream Baby Dream, Beautiful Shot, Machismo)
- Affirmed Stakes (G3, 9 f, to Draft Pick, Axelrod, defeating Afleet Ascent, King Cause, Runaway)